Workplace rules and best practices evolve continuously. Employers need to be aware of new developments in labour and employment law, regardless of what industry/sector you are in or how many employees you have. Effective human resource strategies depend on it.
This seminar will inform you of recent developments in the law and help you learn how to deal successfully with the issues they raise. The MLT Aikins Employment Law Update is designed for both non-unionized and unionized employers. We’ll bring you up-to-date on changes to the rules and help you develop proactive human resource policies and strategies.
ON THE AGENDA:
New Government, New Rules – Changes to Employment and Labour Legislation
- Provincial law changes – the pendulum is swinging back
- Federal law changes – significant changes effective in September
- How to prepare for upcoming amendments to labour and employment legislation
Employer’s Guide to Difficult Accommodation Questions
- Several Tests for accommodating Family Status – which test should you use?
- Learn whether and how to accommodate Medical Cannabis
- The latest cases on accommodating Mental and Physical Disabilities and other protected grounds
Digitalization – Legal Challenges in the Rapidly Changing Workplace
- Legal considerations when changing ways of working through Technology
- Using Artificial Intelligence in the HR profession
- Union considerations for Technology Changes
Drug and Alcohol Testing Today
- Where are we at with Random Testing?
- Do Site Access and Pre-Employment Testing rules differ across Canada?
- Testing for legalized Cannabis and dealing with test results
It’s Just Not Working Out – Managing Employee Terminations
- Hear about the latest cases on wrongful and constructive dismissal
- Trends in reasonable notice periods – are they going up?
- Terminating for just cause – is it ever worth it?
- Senior employment and labour lawyers answer your questions on any employment-related topic.
- Registration & Breakfast: 8:30 a.m. | Seminar: 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Registration includes breakfast, lunch and refreshments.
- Registration closes Wednesday, October 9.
- For a full refund, cancel before Thursday, October 10.
- Registrations submitted after Wednesday, October 9 will not qualify for a refund and are subject to capacity.
- Substitutions may be made at any time. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to process.
- Program and speakers are subject to change.
- Space is limited. Only employers or their representatives are eligible to attend. We reserve the right to decline registrants.
- Pre-approved for 6.5 CPD hours with CPHR Alberta
Subscribe today and receive seminar updates, Western Employers’ Counsel insights and news delivered to your inbox.