Workplace rules and practices evolve continuously. As an employer you need to be aware of new developments in labour and employment law, regardless of how many employees you have. Effective human resource strategies depend on it.
This seminar will inform you of recent developments in the law and help you learn how to deal successfully with the issues they raise. The MLT Aikins Labour Update is designed for both unionized and non-unionized employers. We’ll get you up–to-date on changes to the rules and help you develop proactive human resources policies.
ON THE AGENDA:
- Review the latest cases on discipline and discharge
- Learn from current trends in arbitration cases – when is discipline appropriate?
- Examine other recent developments for Saskatchewan employers
Labour Relations Board Update
- Review developments on what constitutes an appropriate bargaining unit
- Hear about the latest cases on unfair labour practices and employer communications
- Get up-to-date on other recent developments from the Labour Relations Board
Preventing Workplace Sexual Harassment
- Find out what the recent exposure of high profile sexual harassment cases means for your workplace
- Ensure your workplace policies are properly equipped to prevent and deal with sexual harassment
- Learn what to do when a formal harassment complaint is filed
- Hear the latest developments on accommodating physical and mental disabilities
- Understand the legislative framework for Saskatchewan
- Review the developments in the law regarding legal and medical marijuana
Social Media and the Workplace
- Identify when social media use warrants discipline
- Learn when it is acceptable to use social media posts as evidence of abuse of sick leave
- Develop strategies to mitigate the risks of improper social media use to your organization
- Senior employment and labour lawyers answer your questions on any employment-related topic
- Riva Farrell Racette
- Robert Frost-Hinz
- Amy Gibson
- Eileen Libby, Q.C.
- Jana Linner
- Brent Matkowski
- Leah Schatz, Q.C.
- Jean Torrens
- Michael Tochor, Q.C.
- Shannon Whyley
- Kevin Wilson, Q.C.
- Registration: 8:30 a.m. | Seminar: 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Breakfast, lunch and refreshments will be provided.
- Cost: $450 + GST ($22.50) = $472.50 per person
- Registration closes: April 27
- Cancel before May 3 for a full refund. Contact Sandra Janzen at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about a refund.
- Space is limited. Only employers or their representatives are eligible to attend. We reserve the right to decline registrants.
- Pre-approved for 5 CPD hours with CPHR Saskatchewan and 5 CPD hours for members of the Law Society of Saskatchewan.
Sandra Janzen, MLT Aikins LLP
1500 Saskatoon Square
410 – 22nd Street East
Saskatoon, SK S7K 5T6
P: (306) 956-6957
F: (306) 975-7145