As a business leader, it is important for you to understand employment law issues impacting your workplace. In this webinar, our team of employment law lawyers will provide an overview of the top 10 employment law issues. This intermediate-level seminar will feature employment topics tailored for Saskatchewan business owners, operations managers, executive directors, human resources and labour relations professionals, and other business leaders.
The webinar will start at 8:30 a.m. and will run until 12:30 p.m., with two 15-minute breaks between the sessions.
On the Agenda:
Topic #1: Employment Contracts and Offer Letters
- Why every employer should implement employment contracts
- Using employment contracts to protect the interests of employers
- Implementing employment contracts for new and current employees
Topic #2: Employment Standards Obligations
- Overview of employment standards including vacation entitlements, statutory holidays, job-protected leaves, short-shifting and other entitlements
- Complaints and enforcement
Topic #3: Paying Overtime and Common Mistakes made by Employers
- Overview of employer overtime obligations
- Employees and industries that are exempt from overtime
- Common overtime mistakes made by employers
Topic #4: Occupational Health and Safety Obligations
- Employer and supervisor responsibilities
- Occupational health and safety committees
- OHS complaints and remedies
Topic #5: Conducting Workplace Investigations
- When, who, why and how should you investigate
- Types of events or incidents that trigger investigation
- Whether to place an employee on a paid or unpaid administrative leave pending investigation
- Consequences of good and bad investigations
Topic #6: Human Rights Duty to Accommodate
- Employers’ legal duty to accommodate
- Accommodating mental and physical disabilities
- Duty to accommodate myths
Topic #7: Progressive Discipline
- Purpose of progressive discipline
- How progressive discipline can protect employers from costly litigation
- Creating and following a progressive discipline policy
Topic #8: Termination of Employment
- Difference between just cause and without cause terminations
- Importance of termination letters
- Managing litigation risks
Topic #9: Union Organizing Campaigns and Employer Rights
- The organizing process
- Legal rights of employers
- Employer communications about unionization during an organizing drive
Topic #10: Remote Work
- Responding to remote work requests
- Requests to work remote from other jurisdictions/locations
- Remote work policies
- Webinar: 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Cost: Registration Fee ($350) + GST ($17.50) + PST ($21) = $388.50 per person
- Registration closes: January 18, 2023
- Cancel before January 13 for a full refund. Contact Sandra Janzen at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about a refund.
- Space is limited. Only employers or their representatives are eligible to attend. We reserve the right to decline registrants.
- Late registrations will be accepted as space permits.
- Pre-approved for 3.5 CPD hours with CPHR Saskatchewan.