The Alberta Employment Law Update 2021 will be held in two half-day webinars.
Workplace rules and practices evolve continuously. As an employer you need to be aware of new developments in labour and employment law, regardless of how many employees you have. Effective human resource strategies depend on it.
The MLT Aikins Alberta Employment Law Update is virtual this year. The webinar series is designed for both unionized and non-unionized employers. We’ll inform you of recent developments in the law, suggest strategies to deal effectively with emerging issues, and help you develop proactive human resources policies.
This year we are pleased to host a medical-legal panel featuring the head of the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Infectious Diseases at the University of Calgary, School of Medicine, who will discuss COVID-19 variants, vaccine efficacy and workplace safety issues that arise as businesses fully re-open and employees return to the workplace.
Each day will start at 8:30 a.m. MT and will run until noon. There will be two 10-minute breaks.
October 26, 2021
COVID-19 Case Law Update
- Impact of COVID-19 on severance and mitigation
- Constructive dismissal arising from COVID-19 layoffs and reduced hours/pay
- Vaccination, vaccination status disclosure and testing policies – upheld or unenforceable?
Human Rights Update
- Accommodating COVID-19 related mental health and family status claims
- Increasing general damages awards
- Rise in pay equity claims
- Dr. Mody, infectious disease expert, will provide the latest medical updates on COVID-19 variants, vaccine efficacy, the future of booster shots and long-haulers
- Dr. Mody, an MLT Aikins labour lawyer and an MLT Aikins OHS lawyer will answer your questions on COVID-19 impacts on the workplace
October 27, 2021
Remote Work From Home Considerations
- Best practices for WFH policies and agreements
- WFH challenges: managing performance, WCB jurisdiction and OHS at home
- “Right to disconnect” laws – the next frontier
Legal Considerations When Implementing Your Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy
- Capturing and measuring DEI metrics – what you can/can’t ask and how
- What are ameliorative programs?
- Recent case law on unconscious bias, stereotyping and “reverse discrimination”
Drafting Enforceable Employment Contracts
- Latest case law affecting termination provisions
- How to draft valid non-competition and non-solicitation clauses
- What we learned from COVID-19 – contractual amendments and new provisions
Speakers and Moderator:
- John Agioritis
- Samantha Finkbeiner
- Megan Kheong
- Arooj Shah
- Aaron Marchadour
- Walter Pavlic, Q.C.
- Jean Torrens
- Julie Ward
- Kevin Wilson, Q.C.
- Dr. Christopher Mody
- Dates: October 26-27, 2021 | 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. MT each day
- Materials: You will receive electronic copies of all materials prior to the webinar
- Cost: $427.50 + GST ($21.38) = $448.88 per person
- Registration closes: Wednesday, October 13
- Cancellation: Cancel by October 13 for a full refund. Contact Dabota Fashola at email@example.com to inquire.
- Registrations submitted after October 13 will not qualify for a refund
- Program and speakers are subject to change
- Space is limited. Only employers or their representatives are eligible to attend. We reserve the right to decline registrants.
This webinar has been pre-approved for 7.0 CPHR Alberta CPD hours.
Subscribe today and receive seminar updates, Western Employers’ Counsel insights and news delivered to your inbox.