This event has been postponed. An update on the new plan for Labour Update 2020 will be coming soon!
Workplace rules and practices evolve continuously. As an employer you need to be aware of new developments in labour and employment law, regardless of how many employees you have. Effective human resource strategies depend on it.
This full-day seminar will inform you of recent developments in the law and help you learn how to deal successfully with the issues they raise. The MLT Aikins Labour Update is designed for both unionized and non-unionized employers. We’ll get you up-to-date on changes to the rules and help you develop proactive human resources policies.
On the Agenda
- Review the latest cases on discipline and discharge
- Learn from current trends in arbitration cases – when is discipline appropriate?
- Examine other recent developments for Saskatchewan employers
Accommodation and Human Rights Update
- Understand the latest developments on accommodating physical and mental disabilities
- Review the latest cases on workplace sexual harassment
- Accommodating drug/alcohol disabilities, family status and other protected grounds.
Immigration Employer Compliance Primer
- Overview of foreign worker compliance obligations facing employers
- Impacts of Saskatchewan legislation on foreign worker recruitment
- Tips for best practices to avoid non-compliance findings.
- Understand the legal requirements and tools available to employers to comply with privacy laws
- Hear about current privacy issues that impact employers and their workplaces
- Understand the steps that employers can take to mitigate privacy related risks
Labour Relations Board Update
- Review developments on what constitutes an appropriate bargaining unit
- Hear about the latest cases on unfair labour practices and employer communications
- Get up-to-date on other recent developments from the Labour Relations Board
Wrongful Dismissal Update
- Hear about the latest cases on wrongful and constructive dismissal
- Learn how to effectively manage dismissals within your organization
- Learn to identify and manage issues arising regarding constructive dismissal and just cause
- Senior employment and labour lawyers answer your questions on any employment-related topic
- Scott Bell
- Robert Frost-Hinz
- Amy Gibson
- Kristel Kriel
- Matthew Klinger
- Eileen Libby, Q.C.
- Jana Linner
- Brent Matkowski
- Calen Nixon
- Leah Schatz, Q.C.
- Jean Torrens
- Kevin Wilson, Q.C.
- Registration: 8:30 a.m. | Seminar: 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Breakfast, lunch and refreshments will be provided.
Regular Fee: $475 + GST ($23.75) = $498.75 per person
- Registration closes: May 15
- Cancel before May 19 for a full refund. Contact Sandra Janzen at email@example.com to inquire about a refund.
- Space is limited. Only employers or their representatives are eligible to attend. We reserve the right to decline registrants.
This seminar has been pre-approved for 5.0 CPHR Saskatchewan CPD hours and 5.0 CPD hours for members of the Law Society of Saskatchewan.
Sandra Janzen, MLT Aikins LLP
1500 Saskatoon Square
410 – 22nd Street East
Saskatoon, SK S7K 5T6
P: (306) 956-6957
F: (306) 975-7145